If like me you’ve been asleep for the last week you will only have just found out that there is a star studded concert tomorrow night in aid of the saving the Kimberley. Entry is free, which means you can give even more generously The concert poster is below with all the details. Enjoy!!
Archive for category: Gig Guide
The Davilak Tavern is of course now the South Beach Hotel, down at the end of South Terrace in South Freo, and not content with just a new look, new menu (including the great gut-busting steak night on Tuesdays), there is also a load of live music on the way too.
Funky local reggae/dance group Dilip and the Davs are doing a free gig down there tonight (Weds 8th) ahead of kick-starting a new acoustic Sunday session at the SBH from the first weekend in October. Great news for denizens of South Freo for whom Mojos/North Freo is just a bit too far to stagger home from after a few pints and an hour or two on the dance floor. You never quite know what you’ll get with the Davs, and if reggae isn’t quite your thing don’t let put you off, because the sound is a whole lot more besides.
South Beach Hotel,
398 South Terrace,
I’ve never actually made it to a gig at the Swan Hotel, even though I drive past it nearly every day and have in the past (for no real reason) been very fond of the old Bibik Chan’s sign on the side. Anyway, local promoter Alia has given us a heads up on a new Electronic Music Night at the Swan Basement and we’re going to check it out this Friday. It promises some of Perth’s finest DJs and producers, so with my expectations set high I’ll dig out the pumps and get ready to make some shapes. Watch out North Freo.
BASSment @ The Swan Hotel this Friday 25th June. 8pm to 12 midnight. $5 on the door
The Swan Hotel
201 Queen Victoria St
North Fremantle WA 6159
(08) 9335 2725
…tons of cool music about this weekend. Why don’t all the muso places of Freo keep their sites updated? I’ve noticed a lot of great looking gig flyers and posters around town this week but can’t find much online. Ho hum.
So Tijuana Cartel on Sunday at Mojo’s will no doubt be brilliant (they are also on tonight at Fly By Night), but also worth checking out tonight are Shooting from the Hip, and tomorrow night Boom Bam Pow, to raise awareness of domestic violence.
There’s also live music every night this w/e at Creatures Loft and the CD launch of the DomNicks at Clancy’s. Unfortunately I’ll be somewhere between City Beach and the city taking my sister’s clan to the aeroport. Oh, in another scoop for Metropolis Fremantle, Jarivs Cocker is coming here in December: he is the chap who famously (perhaps) ran up on stage and bared his arse to Michael Jackson. But he’s also a great singer/songwriter and once front man of 90s indie(ish) band Pulp. Get tickets now, you won’t be disappointed.
So it’s going to be a scorcher this weekend, and not before time. I have the fan on in the house for the first time this summer, I’m wearing shorts and have plans for some minor sunburn later today. As a complete Friday bonus, the sea breeze hasn’t blown, meaning a late arvo swim will also be an option. And there are some good things going on in Freo this weekend… just to make a change
Friday night, 16th October
- Mojo’s – Abbe May plays tonight at Mojo’s, supported by Horny Pony & The Joe Kings. You can check out Abbe’s myspace for more details. From 8pm. Tickets $20 on the door.
- Clancy’s Fish Pub – Natalie Gillespie and Dave Brewer Band. Singer/songwriter and Blues guitar man.
- Fly By Night - Motown and Northern Soul. Tickets $10 from 8pm.
- Kulcha – The Whistling Dogs are an acoustic trio with an eclectic sound, making use of a variety of instruments like the charango, saxophone, singing saw and keyboards. Tickets $15 on the door.
- Norfolk Basement – The Witness and Hand Stands for Ants. The Basement’s myspace is a bit out of date, so have no info on these guys.
- Newport Hotel – Paper, Scissors, Rock. From 8pm.
- Moondyne Joe’s – Dave Gillam Trio. This place has some good acts in a friendly atmosphere.
Saturday night, 17thOctober
- Mojos’s – Sunshine Brothers A dub/reggae/soul combo via some sort of DJ set. $10 from 8pm.
- Clancy’s Fish Pub – Matt Gresham! From 9pm.
- Kulcha – Paul Gioia Trio. A night of hot Blues, Gospel and Jazz. Tix $18 on the door. From 8pm.
- Norfolk Basement – Kevin Smith & The Seven Story Jumpers. 8pm.
- Moondyne Joe’s - Murdermouse Blues
Sunday daytime. The Fishing Fleet Festival.
This festival is part of Freo lore, and has ancient origins from Molfetta and Capo d’Orlando in Italy (which also give their names to the harbour wall roads in Freo). The festival is a procession from St Patrick’s Basilica through Freo, to Fishing Boat Harbour. A great one for the kids, finishing off with a huge fireworks display. I like fireworks.
Monday onwards. Clancy’s 21st Birthday Festival Week. More on this to follow. Oh, and we’ll have a new mayor too.
It’s not often a super-star DJ does a set in li’l old Fremantle, which is why Love Freo is very excited that Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas is playing at Metropolis this weekend. I wonder what hat he will be wearing. Tickets are a bargainous 25 bucks… so I know where I will be at 9.30pm on Friday. And I’ll be having a kebab on the way out. Super.